MGCCC baseball stops Northeast 6-5
Bulldogs take 1-0 lead in best-of-three series
BILOXI---The odyssey that was game one of the MACJC playoff series between Northeast and Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College went in favor of the Bulldogs 7-5.
Daniel Miles tags out a Northeast runner trying to steal third base May 6.
Getting to that point was a long process as the game, originally set for May 5, was pushed back to May 6 due to wet field conditions in Perkinston from recent heavy rains. More rain Saturday afternoon forced the game to be moved to Biloxi High School and pushed the start time back to 9 p.m. Four hours later, Gulf Coast took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series with game two slated for 2 p.m. again at Biloxi with game three to follow if necessary.
The Bulldogs used a five-run third inning to break the game open and got quality relief pitching from Biloxi native Jordan Mata (5-3), who struck out five in three innings to earn the victory. Daniel Wineski notched his seventh save of the season.
Ben Slaton smacked his 13th homer of 2012 to get Gulf Coast on the board in the first inning while Daniel Miles, Dieter Hamilton, and Micheal Gilbert put together three straight RBI singles in the teamís third inning offensive surge. Miles had three hits in the four-hour game while Hamilton and J.C. Cassidy each had two.
Northeast (16-29) took a 3-1 heading into the fifth mainly off an error and seven walks by Gulf Coast starting pitcher Jarred Gates, who also struck out four in three innings of work.
Tyler Bray (7-4) will start game two for the Bulldogs later this afternoon.
StoriesMGCCC baseball to hold open tryouts
MGCCC baseball falls at Northeast
MGCCC baseball upends Northeast in MACJC Playoffs
MGCCC baseball series moved to Saturday/Sunday
MGCCC baseball headed back to post-season
MGCCC baseball splits with East Central
MGCCC baseball splits at Southwest
MGCCC baseball splits at Jones
#9 Pearl River sweeps MGCCC baseball
MGCCC baseball splits with Hinds
Other Bulldog News• Moss Point's Tom Johnson seeks new position with Saints
• Could be more to high school state tests than meets the eye
• Grantham responds to Muschamp, says he has confidence in Bulldogs' defense
• Auburn Football: Gus Malzahn's Recruiting Bodes Well for Tigers' Future
• In the FCS Huddle: The next step is hardest
• No excuse for boredom this summer
• Propst pleased with turnout of rising ninth-graders
• D'haquille Williams to LSU: Tigers Reportedly Land 5-Star JUCO WR Prospect
• Derrick Moncrief Commits to Auburn: Tigers Land No. 1 JUCO Safety
• Nick Saban's Ga. mountain mansion to be auctioned